Sunday, May 24, 2015

Using Technology to Foster and Assess Student Learning

Using Technology to Foster and Assess Student Learning
The technologies that I chose were Blackboard and You Tube, I chose those technologies because You Tube is very popular and Blackboard is a popular teaching tool used to teach on-line and F2F .The benefit of Blackboard it that the instructor can maintain the grade center, email, post announcements, create discussion, create links to other websites like You Tube that have a selection of videos. 
I would use this technology to engage students face to face and on-line by developing goals and objectives  that aligne in order to be successful and would include strategies such as: 

(a) involving key stakeholders (students, faculty, 

administrators, parents, etc.); (b) ensuring that all goals and 

objectives reflect the individual and organizational values; (c) 

making it clear why they are critical to student success; (d) 

making sure the goals and objectives are measurable; (e) 

having the resources to meet the objectives.


I would use the technology to to engage students by 

having Students have “increased availability, quick 

feedback, improved two-way interactions, tracking, and 

building skills such as organization, time management and 

communication” (Writing Goals and Objectives. (n.d.)

I would use this technology to to asses student learning by 
establishing. In order to accomplish these objectives the students will be assessed in multiple ways by “establishing clear, attainable, measurable outcomes of students learning, providing opportunities for the student to achieve these outcomes and revising teaching practices to meet these objectives” (Gibbons,2011, p280).

References:
Writing Goals and Objectives. (n.d.) A Guide for Grantees of the Smaller Learning Communities Program. Retrieved from www2.ed.gov/programs/slcp/slc-wgandobj-book-f.pdf





5 comments:

  1. Terry,
    I like using YouTube clips while teaching online. My students say they also like them. It allows me an opportunity to show a little virtual personality.

    I am not a big fan of Blackboard but it gets the job done. My favorite LMS so far is Canvas. It have a top of apps inside the LMS.

    Mark B

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,

    I have introduced YouTube into my psychology classes and require them to create a presentation about a psychological disorder in which they will eventually present to the class.

    I am hoping that they will be intrigues because it is something many of them use on a daily basis!

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry, as you most likely already know, I support the use of Blackboard. My institution has been using it for over seven years now. I find training faculty to use this system relatively easy; and, students seem to adapt to using it as well. I am planning an update soon and am looking forward to offering new apps for our faculty to use in their classrooms. :) ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry,
    I love using YouTube in my courses. I scour YT for clips all the time. My film course uses the clips constantly as we are using them in our presentations.
    Not a fan of BB that much though. A friend of mine uses BB Collaborate and thinks it is funny that Cisco uses it for their proctored exams instead of their own stuff.

    ReplyDelete