Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sustaining Technology Use

                                                                 Sustaining Technology

The technology that I choose was Learning Management Systems Blackboard. Blackboard is not new in the field of education and is normally used in addition to f2f classes, well at the community college I work at. Students normally can log into their classroom and access additional learning material that the teacher has posted.
The benefits of backboard is that it provides a learning atmosphere on-line where the teach and students can collaborate. It is designed for that particular class. Sometimes student seem afraid to try blackboard and I make it a requirement to log in to see their grades, check announcements, take quizzes, upload and download documents for the class.
I use blackboard in POLS 101 Introduction to government. I post research material that the students need in order to complete the two mandatory research papers that are due to successfully complete the course. I post announcements every week with videos to supplement the chapters. I also post power points for each chapter that the student can use to really the test that are kind of challenging.

Blackboard can be used to foster learning by the availability of the classroom away from campus. With blackboard students can work with other material that the instructor has posted that would have learn the material related to the course.  I also post links to You Tube videos that the student’s love. Videos supplement learning and students retain information longer from watching these videos ((Buzzetto, 2014).

Blackboard can be implemented with the “same requirements as a face to face class requiring the students to log on a specific amount of times while allowing flexibility” (Guillermo, n.d, p.62).
Strategies that I would use to sustain blackboard in my course is making discussions mandatory, downloading and uploading of material to past the course. I would also create quizzes and test within blackboard.

References

Buzzetto-More, N. A. (2014). An Examination of Undergraduate Student's Perceptions and Predilections of the Use of YouTube in the Teaching and Learning Process. Interdisciplinary Journal Of E-Learning & Learning Objects, 1017-32.

Guillermo. (n.d.). A Study of the Effectiveness of Blackboard Collaborate for Conducting Synchronous Courses at Multiple Locations. Retrieved from files.eric.ed.gov/full text/EJ1035850.pdf


6 comments:

  1. Terry,

    The LMS is a vital component of the course. My students will access it if they are forced to, but they really need a reason to do so. I had a long discussion with a fellow teacher on LMS and we did not agree on everything. I think a lot of the differences are due to the interactive nature of my teaching versus his lecture system.

    He was on the committee to select a LMS during the bidding process. Due to the fact the Pearson did not submit a bid, we are changing LMS. Had they submitted a bid, he would have supported Pearson. He would not have been alone either among many instructors who didn't want change. Many others wanted a new LMS because we were handcuffed by Pearson. There is a major pedagogical difference involved.

    I found this article and I think I will use it for my own research as well. It is about various groups of stakeholders making decisions without the input of the people who will use the LMS the most, the students. This suggests to me that my study may be pretty useful down the road after it is finished because it will be the guide for training instructors and with modifications, students on use of the LMS.

    References
    Macfadyen, L. & Dawson, S. (2012). Numbers are not Enough. Why e-learning analytics failed to inform an institutional strategic plan. Educational Technology & Society 15(3), 149-163.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    At our institution, all instructors, including face-to-face instructors, are required to use Blackboard. The minimum requirement is to post instructor information and the syllabus. Administration is trying to foster the idea that the learning management system can serve as a good communication tool as well as serve as a tool to offer online courses. ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,

    I have used many different LMS, and Blackboard is OK and allows the basics. It really depends on your college or university if they invest in upgrades and add different resources.

    My favorite LMS so far is Canvas. I like the cloud based seamless updates and all the plug-ins available.

    Once I finished my degree, I plan to spend the time to update all of my classes. I just do not want to dive into something that is labor intensive at this time.

    Mark B

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Terry,

    Blackboard is a great LMS system that can be both easilly taught and learned. My college is actually implementing a new LMS system called schoology? have you ever heard of it? it looks and acts just like facebook and I am so excited to use it in my classes.

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Terry. This is the second degree I have worked on that utilized an LMS. I have to say I like it but I am an organized person that can motivate myself to stay active and engaged in "class". I like the idea and how you described combining the use of an LMS with a traditional classroom. I think that would be a great combination, especially the way Jim has described in previous posts a flipped classroom. Great thoughts on the use of an LMS. Thanks.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete