Saturday, March 28, 2015

Blog 2 Technology


I work at the community college as an adjunct.  Five resources that are available at the college are Learning Management systems, Microsoft Office, texting, YouTube, and twitter. I am comfortable working with all five resources. I love the internet so I am always learning how to use various applications. 
There are many faculty development opportunities at the community college where I work. There is a training portal where faculty can log on to take advantage of training's that are available. Professional development course that I use to enhance my skills are seminars and training classes. I am a Mental Health Case Manager. I attend training's to keep up my certifications. For each seminar that I attend I receive credits. I also take advantage of YouTube videos. My reading and writing skills are much better since I have started my doctoral journey. My professional practice can be improved by continuing my education, taking advantage of seminars, and taking advantage of employer training. 

One suggestion for improving support of classroom technology is maybe students who work as emergency technicians who can come to the class rooms to assist the instructors when technology fails to work in the classroom like the overhead projector, or sound issues.

Learning management systems such as discussions boards, email, and blogs allow students to learn collaboratively ( Wichadee, 2014). I enjoy using the discussion boards where all of the students can join in. Social networking is great way to engage students because nowadays everyone is on some sort of social network. Social networks that most student use are Face book, Twitter, You Tube, Pinterest, and Linked In (Buzzetto-More, 2014).

References

Buzzetto-More, N. A. (2014). An Examination of Undergraduate Student's Perceptions and Predilections of the Use of YouTube in the Teaching and Learning Process. Interdisciplinary Journal Of E-Learning & Learning Objects, 1017-32

Wichadee, S. (2014). Students' Learning Behavior, Motivation and Critical Thinking in Learning Management Systems. Journal Of Educators Online, 11(3), 1- 15

4 comments:

  1. Terry,

    Do you make your own YouTube clips for your students?

    I make clips on study habits, time management, using the online library, etc. I like YouTube because of the CC function that is available so that I am staying ADA compliant.

    If you have collaborative projects in your classes with small groups, have you tried using a Wiki?

    Mark B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    Having tech support to fix problems in the classroom would be nice. I have attended conferences at colleges where there seems to be an abundance of student interns helping out in each classroom. One of the community colleges in our area has a phone in each classroom, which gives an instructor the ability to call IT immediately if there is a problem. We just instituted a call system (cell phones) at our college for IT assistance. So far, it has been working. Of course, we need additional staff. Since our college does not offer any technological-type degrees, any student we hire would be home grown as opposed to educationally trained. ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,

    I prefer online course discussions compared to classroom discussions. I think students use them more in an online course. I tried to use them in my ground courses, but getting them to go online is like pulling teeth. They're not used to doing it in many classes. I asked them if they wanted a mobile app or a website for additional course materials and the app won by a 12 to 3 vote.

    I thought about Twitter and Facebook, but I question how many places I would have to go or they would have to go. I am trying to make it one stop shopping, but the Lab makes it a bit difficult. Unfortunately, the company that supplies the LMS is sort of unresponsive. I don't think they like being told the Lab is set up wrong. I love the content. I just do not like the arrangement or accessibility of it.

    I am fortunate as the IT room is across the hall. The guys are pretty good. Also, this is a year old campus with all new stuff in it. So the problems are usually instructor driven like videos not playing from a PowerPoint. Everything has office 365 on it which I love. As long as I can run my PowerPoints I am good. With the iPads I also use in the course I can skip the PowerPoints as well. At this point I am experimenting with new practices so I can eliminate the lectures or at least reduce them. Part of that relies on technology.

    ReplyDelete